Links to Indian Ocean World Sites
The IOW and Global History
- The 1421 Myth Exposed was set up by an international group of academics and researchers who are greatly concerned about the myths being created and perpetuated by Gavin Menzies in his book, 1421: The Year China Discovered the World, where he claims that Chinese admiral Zheng He circumnavigated the globe, and in the process "discovered" most of the world.
Indian Ocean Region
- The East India Company at Home, 1757-1857 is a 3-year research project (beginning in September 2011 and ending in August 2014) funded by the Leverhulme Trust. The project is one of the many externally-funded research programmes developed under the aegis of Warwick University’s Global History & Culture Centre
- The British Indian Ocean Territory, which consists of the Chagos Archipelago and other small island groups, is a territory that was formed in 1965 by agreement with Mauritius and the Seychelles. One of its islands, Diego Garcia (17 sq mi), is a joint U.S.-UK refueling and support station that was used during the Persian Gulf War (1991), the war against Afghanistan (1991) and the second Iraq war (2003).
- Tufts University's Center for South Asian and Indian Ocean Studies is a focal point for scholarship on the South Asian subcontinent with an emphasis on history, culture, literature, religion, politics, economics and diplomacy in relation to the countries of the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Bhutan and the Maldives) and comparative studies of Southeast Asia and the Middle East.
- The Indian Ocean Climatology & Oceanography (IOCO) Gateway provides information on the climate and oceanography (physical, biological, geological, chemical, etc.) of the Indian Ocean.
- The University of Pennsylvania's Summer Institute on "Indian Ocean: Cradle of Globalization" provides many links to useful Indian Ocean sites.
- The Centre for Middle Eastern and Islamic Studies at the University of Bergen has several research projects that focus on the Indian Ocean.
- The Indian Ocean Research Group (IORG) is an academic initiative based at Panjab University in Chandigarh and the University of Western Australia in Perth that provides a research umbrella for social science policy-oriented research in the Indian Ocean Rim.
- The Seacology Island Projects aim to preserve the highly endangered biodiversity of islands throughout the world.
- Stanford University's Indian Ocean Islands resource list provides useful links to websites that focus on the Indian Ocean World.
- Madadoc is a searchable database of papers and reports about Madagascar.
- Thèses malgaches en ligne is a collection of theses and dissertations from six public universities in Madagascar.
- The Centre de Recherches sur les Sociétés de l'Océan Indien (CRESOI) was founded in 2001. The Centre is a member of the Unité de Recherches (Océan Indien : Espaces Sociétés), of the Fédération de recherches (Observatoire des sociétés de l’océan Indien), of the École doctorale en sciences humaines de l’Université de La Réunion.
- The Africa Portal is an online knowledge resource for policy-related issues on Africa.
South China Sea Region